Thursday, April 25, 2013

Thursday - the big suck!

So this morning I went to my Ear Nose and Throat doctor, to have him clean out my nose.  I was warned by him before surgery that he was going to see me a couple of weeks after my surgery to clean out my nose. 

I have had draining in the back of my throat, and sometimes it feels like I am drowning.  When this happens (usually at night when I am going to bed) I stack up pillows, and even though I am sleeping in an almost sitting position, I don't feel like I am drowning in my own mucus.

I checked in with my doctor, and he explained what he was going to do. He told me this was the worst thing since surgery, because he was going to take his scope up my nose, and vacuum out all of the dried blood, packing and mucus in my nose.  About an hour before I had a mini coughing fit, and some mucus came up, so I was once again worried that the "Fat Patch" might come loose.

The first thing the doctor did, was he sprayed some numbing agent in my nose, then he told me this was going to be very uncomfortable, and if I wanted him to stop, he would.  He stuck both the vacuum and the endoscope up my nose, and started suctioning. I could feel him inside all the sinus cavities, and by the sound of the vacuum he was getting a lot of matter.

He kept apologizing for the discomfort, and asked if I wanted him to stop. I felt if I did have him stop, it would only prolong the agony, so I soldiered ahead.

He then took out some forceps and told me this was really going to be uncomfortable, because he found a "crusty" and it needed to be removed.  My eye on the right side was watering profusely (he was in the right nostril), and he started pulling.  It felt like he was pulling a bus through my nose, and then he totally extracted the "crusty." I am sorry if this is too graphic, but it was about an inch long, and about as big around as a fountain pen: It was crusted blood and solid.

Then he did the same thing on the left side, and extracted another "crusty" about the same size from that side.

Before the doctor did all of this, I had a severe headache behind and to the left of my right eye. After he was done, the pain went away. Now I can smell things, and not that awful smell from earlier this week.  The doctor said sometimes something can invade our sinuses, and we just have to do the best we can.

I will be back with the doctor for another cleaning in a couple of weeks. We will see how things go, about a month before surgery, my wife and I made dinner reservations and paid for the meal for our Anniversary which is coming up this Saturday. I am hopeful that I will be able to taste the meal, and not have just sweet and salty as my taste sensations.

I did ask the doctor about the "fat patch" and if it was still intact, he said it was doing just fine. I told him it worried me, and he said it was something that they are always concerned about as well. I am very glad my "fat patch" is still intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment