Thursday, April 18, 2013

Going home day - Sunday

I know why I don't like hospitals, they tell you to get rest, and then they wake you every two hours to give you something to sleep. Go figure.

I woke up on Sunday morning, the night before I had my catheter removed, to kinda get me ready for checkout, but I was still feeling kinda yucky. I have no sense of smell since the surgery, so I could not tell if I stunk or not, but considering the nurses were reluctant to visit my room, I figured I must smell quite awful.

My wife will never tell me I stink, unless I have been manning a campfire, then she has no qualms with expressing my odorous nature, but in the hospital room, she would sit there and hold my hand.

In short, I had to take a shower. My neck still hurt, and my head was pounding, but I figured a shower, some clean underwear and a clean gown would make me feel like a new penny, and after the cleaning exercise, I was correct. I really enjoyed the bathing. The hot water even felt good on my neck.

I took a cruise around the floor with my wife, and felt a little unsteady, even dizzy at times, but I felt than was probably normal; plus in the "Once You Return Home" section of the discharge paperwork, it does not say anything about being dizzy.In fact the list is this:
  • Difficulty breathing or unusual shortness of breath
  • Chest pain
  • Excessive bleeding or drainage at the operative site - hum the bloody nose from Saturday, interesting.
  • Persistent nausea or vomiting - key word here is persistent
  • Fever, chills, and /or increased pain that is not relieved by pain medication.
So the dizziness must be - at least by the indications of this list - kinda normal. So I went with it.

My wife had to leave, and I started checking out procedures. It took about an hour, and I was checked out of the hospital: Vowing I would never return (I should really stop doing that, since in one year I have been there five times for different reasons.)

We got to the car, and about a mile from the hospital, I started vomiting. I am glad her and the kids had Taco Bell the night before, and my youngest son disregarded his mother's instructions to clean out the car. I lost all my breakfast and lunch in the seven miles to the house, and mixed it with the remnants from the families previous excursion. Not fun but I was home.

I came inside and I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment